Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Power of God's Word


My friend arrived with the bobcat.  He had a Muslim foreign worker with him, named Ahmad, aged 35 years, who was the father of eight children.  My friend told me to keep Ahmad with me as long as necessary.  He asked me only to provide a place for Ahmad to sleep.

My friend went back home and Ahmad started to clear and grade the land.  He began to dig and split up the pathway.  At the end of the day, Ahmad looked at me and said,

"I feel at ease with you," to which I replied, “I haven't spoken to you, and you don't even know me, so how can you feel relaxed and at ease with me?"

He replied, "I don't know how, but I feel a sense of relief and I am relaxed with you."

And there Ahmad revealed everything he had in his heart and he told me about an experience he had three years before.  He said: "One day I was working on the bobcat to wipe out a heap of rubble from a yard of a convent.  I caught a glimpse of a book in the debris.  I turned off the machine and I got down from it and headed towards the heap of rubble.  I picked up the book, dusted it off and opened it.  I read a passage from it, and I immediately felt strength coming into my body.  From that point on I was freed from a sin I was sinking in."

I asked him, "What was the book?"

He answered, "The bible."

I told him that I had a bible in the car and asked if he would like to read a passage from it.  He was eager to do so.

I told him to take the bible, to close his eyes and pray first, and then to open it and I would read it to him.

He prayed and then opened the holy bible to a passage from St. Paul's message to the Corinthians.   I read,

 “So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold new things have come. And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation” (2 Corinthians 5:17-19).

I was reading this when Ahmad began to cry.  Spontaneously, he confessed all the sins he had committed in his life.  I left that man liberated from his old sins and I went back to the church.

Thus evening came, and morning followed--the first day.


No comments:

Post a Comment